Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The long road to recovery....

As the six weeks of being in plaster ended for Yatish, we heaved a huge sigh of relief, only to get on the more arduous journey of physical rehabilitation. Before we started the physical therapy, Yatish had to get the external fixators removed which were inserted in his leg after the osteotomy and also the plaster .The physical therapy had to start immediately, so as to not lose the benefits of the surgery and also prevent atrophy of the muscles because of the limbs being in plaster for long time.


The wounds had not completely healed up and Yatish was still in soft bandage. The doctor told us to start the physical therapy and referred us to the hospital, where his physical therapist was consulting and which was closer to our home. I still remember the sight of the multiple wounds on his legs and hand; I was shaking, but was trying to be brave for my child’s sake. The first few days were a battle of sorts. We had to find a way to get him to cooperate between all the pain and agony. My little boy surely and steadily made progress. We tried to make the sessions more interesting for him by telling him stories, singing songs and reading books. I am ever so thankful to the therapist for being so patient and understanding. Yatish made friends with all the hospital staff and was ever eager to show off his achievements. So every day, he went around the hospital corridors in his KFO’s (Knee Foot Orthosis), along with his therapist and chatted with everybody on the way, which was indeed his walking exercise.

We also had to make do with whatever we had around the place too, so sometimes kneeling exercise meant kneeling and looking out of the window at the fireworks, because it was festive season, playing with all the gadgets the therapists used and talking to other patients.

The surgery did improve his functionality, he had better neck control and was using his hands better, the scissoring of his knees reduced and was slowly learning to sit with support, but still we had a long way to go. The hospital became our second home and the therapists my friends. They were a great support to me in all ways. But soon we realised that the hospital did not have enough equipment needed for Yatish’s rehabilitation and the doctor also felt that it would be good idea if we could visit his main centre where all the facilities were available.

As Yatish recovered from his surgery and was making progress, I was determined not to stop his school. I moved him to a school closer home, so I could balance my house work, his therapy sessions and still not miss out on school. I am happy that we made that decision, because Yatish loved going to school. He had a few buddies in school, who looked out for him and promptly gave me an update on his activities. I once was a witness to an amazing conversation between Yatish and a little boy in his class. (Sorry, I don’t recollect his name). Yatish used to sit on his colourful wooden chair all strapped up and this boy was quite fascinated by his chair. He walked up to Yatish and asked him

“Why are you sitting on the chair “and Yatish pointed to his legs

The boy said “oh you can’t walk, but, why can’t you walk?” and Yatish pointed to his head

The boy said “something wrong with your head” and Yatish showed his ‘yes’sign

The boy examined his head closely and said, “Nothing wrong with your head, you need to grow up and you will be fine”

I wish it was so easy, but even though it is not easy as just growing up, I still share the conviction of the little boy and hopefully one day put my boy on his feet.....

2 comments:

Dilip said...

Hey Karuna! Glad to hear about the progress that Yatish is making. Your superb blog and perseverance continues to awe me. I pray that God continues to be on your side in your endeavour.

Nithin Suresh said...

Hey Karuna i still remember the way she showed me his driving skills sitting on his chair and we drew a lot .....let him improve fast , fast and even fast...